The microscope that we have looks like a cylinder with a round back and a light in the front. It comes with a stand and a ruler. It also has a magnification indicator. Unlike traditional microscopes, our digital microscope doesn’t have an eyepiece.
The microscope works a few different ways. You can plug it into a PC or use its wifi to connect with an electronic device like an iPad.
With a digital microscope, you can look at and magnify different things. You can even take pictures and video! We have seen a dragonfly wing, a butterfly wing, a ladybug, coins (a penny and a quarter), a baby tooth that I just lost, and a beetle (it was hairy!).
I think that you should get a digital microscope so that you can see really cool stuff up close.
[Editor’s Note: There are less and more expensive digital microscopes available. This one had good reviews and the features we wanted.]
- Cost: ~$170
- Magnifications: 10x-200x, adjustable focus and magnifications
- Video Format: Motion JPEG 720P HD (1280×720)
- Picture Format & Resolution: JPEG 1280×720
- Compatibility: iPhone/iPad (iOS 5.1 or later) via Wi-Fi, Android Smart Phone/Tablet via Wi-Fi, PC (Windows-XP (SP2), Win7, Win8) via USB
- Battery Life: ~100 minutes