After he finished blending the yellow and orange together, he carefully applied several strokes of black paint. Voila! The man had magically transformed my daughter’s face into an African savannah landscape complete with a cheetah, a lion, a giraffe, an elephant, and a gazelle parading across her cheeks. This phenomenal free face painting was one of the highlights of the Town of North Hempstead’s annual Beach Fest!
Beach Fest is a free end of summer party at the North Hempstead Beach Park. In addition to incredible face painting, the event includes a variety of family-oriented activities including:
- Live reptiles and amphibians for you to see and (when safe) touch and hold courtesy of Erik’s Reptile Edventures. (Erik gave our daughters their first opportunity to get a kiss from a tegu as well as hold tree frogs and boa constrictors!)
- Inflatables for climbing and sliding.
- Live musical entertainment provides a party atmosphere.
- The local fire department’s smoke house teaches you about fire safety and how to escape from a smoky house.
- A petting zoo for you to pet and feed goats, ducks, chickens, and other domesticated animals.
- A hands on science station courtesy of Mad Science! to make your own goop.
- A train-shaped tram for riding around the venue.
- Lots of sand along the beach for building giant sand castles.
- Tree saplings for you to take home to plant.
There’s also a variety of food for sale including Middle Eastern, hamburgers, hot dogs, French fries, pizza, zeppoles, and ice cream. It all adds up to a fun way to spend one of the last afternoons of summer strolling along the beach. We’re looking forward to going on Sunday September 14, 2014!
Skills: Gross and fine motor
Preparation: Nothing – just dress appropriately for the weather
Cost: Free, but there is a $10 parking fee if you don’t have a Town of North Hempstead parking sticker.
Time & Energy: This year’s Beach Fest is on Sunday 9/14 from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. We usually spend a couple of hours at Beach Fest. It’s a 5-minute drive from our house.
Contact Info: You can check the Town of North Hempstead’s website for additional details.